9:15 am
This has been a hellacious trip. Of course, I didn't get much sleep last night on the train. I contorted my body into every possible position, but my back and knees were killing me! Then we got to Port Bou, Spain, where we had to go through customs and change trains. They herded us into an underground tunnel to go under the tracks. Then we were stuck there -- in this 60 foot long tunnel. Everyone loaded down with backpacks and luggage. Some were smoking. It was horrible. I kept thinking of the Who concert in Cincinnati. Potential for disaster. Then the lights go out! Luckily, nobody panicked. What a stupid, dangerous situation. We were waiting to go through customs. It took over 45 minutes, standing in this crowded, smoky tunnel. Then I got on the train to Barcelona, but it doesn't arrive until 10:20 am, and it's not at the station near the Youth Hostel. This'll be great!
3:30 pm
Incredible fishy things at the market near Las Ramblas. Huge fish heads, turkey heads (skinned), live crabs and lobsters, as well as the usual fruits, vegetables, and meat. It looks like there's a lot to do in this city. Should I stay three nights? We'll see. Depends on if I meet someone. I'd like to get to the beach and see the night life, too. The hostel was hard to find. I was given directions to the nearest metro stop, then I was on my own. An awfully nice old man gave me directions. I was out and about less than an hour after arriving!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment