
8:00 am
It's kinda like saving the best for last. I met Antonio at the beach in Sitges yesterday. I first noticed him while I was in the water. He kept looking over at me. God, he was cute. When we left the water, he happened to be sitting pretty close to me. We just kept scoping out each other. It was very frustrating. I knew I needed to do something, but what? How do you do it? What do I say? Does he speak English? He went back into the water. I gathered up all the nerve I had and took the plunge. I went in after him. We swam near each other. It was obvious we needed to meet. Just go over and say, "Hola, ¿que tal?" Mike! So I did! I said I spoke little Spanish. He said he spoke no English. Shit! We came out of the water and he asked if I wanted to sit by him (At least I think that's what he said!) I moved. We talked. Rather, he talked and I tried to understand! I got most of it.
2:00 pm
I found out he's 21, a college student studying fashion, I think. It's his family business maybe. He's got 5 brothers and sisters and lives at home (darn!) We just sat on the beach, occasionally we went into the water and played splashy games. Very cute. But it was very uncomfortable. I said almost nothing. I just listened and sometimes was able to respond. Mostly, I nodded and smiled! Then he'd ask, "Entiendes?" and he'd catch me! He'd laugh and try to explain. Sometimes I just didn't get it. It was extremely frustrating. But it was a great challenge. And I enjoyed being with him. We'd go into the water and play around. He'd grab my foot or try to tickle me. I'd dunk him. Something was definitely developing, but what to do? Finally, around 6:00 pm, we left to get a drink. We talked about movies and music. It was fascinating, but still frustrating. I just wanted to communicate! But I did communicate and that was pretty impressive! Then we just walked around town. Kind like, "What do you wanna do?" "I dunno, what do you wanna do?" "I dunno." So we wandered. Somehow I mentioned the Youth Hostel and tried to explain the he couldn't spend the night, because it's a dormitorio. He didn't catch on at first. So we kept walking.
(edited!)
I made it to the Youth Hostel in time for breakfast (yuk). John from the Youth Hostel and I visited the Templa de Sagrada Familia today. Weird place. The spires are all in place, but the rest of the church is still under construction! It was great to see how a building like that is built. I saw a couple of other Gaudi buildings today. Now I'm on Las Ramblas. Thinking about going to the Olympics area and buying souvenirs!

No comments:
Post a Comment