Wednesday, July 3, 1991

11:00 am

I got to see some Polish countryside. And, yes, it was just as I envisioned. Little old ladies in their peasant outfits working in the field. I even saw a haywagon overloaded with hay, being pulled by a horse -- just like that John Constable painting. Men are cutting hay with a sickle. Beautiful. It's little chillier and cloudy today. Of course -- I wore shorts. I think I'll spend only one night in Krakow, take a night train to Vienna, spend Friday there, take a night train to Venice and spend two days (one night) there.

3:15 pm

Krakow is absolutely lovely. It's the Poland I expected to see -- very old, beautiful buildings, a central town square, vendors selling wood items for cheap! I just wish I could carry everything I'd like to buy. They have great chess boards for $5 - $25. Incredible. Great Polish and Krakowian items, too. It'd be great for the family, but... Can't carry it! Maybe I will spend two nights here! Especially if I want to see Auschweitz. I'm sitting in the lobby of the hostel waiting for someone to come. People (everyone but the receptionist) are very helpful.

6:00 pm

Doesn't quite fit. I'm sitting in an outdoor cafe in the main square in Krakow and there's a guy playing an electric guitar for money. People seem to enjoy it, although he's not getting a lot of money. It's been a pretty lonely day. Just wandering around. I found the Youth Hostel all right. It's open all day so I didn't need to check my bag. Oh well. No Americans here. Of course, it rained a bit. Very few people in shorts! I've been stared at quite a bit. Especially when I put on my emergency poncho! The church in the square -- St. Mary's, I think -- plays a bugle call on the hour, and it stops abruptly. It commemorates the time when a watchman sounded an alarm and was struck in the throat by an enemy arrow. As far as tourist areas go, there are not a lot of people here. Pretty uncrowded. Nice. I managed to order a tea with milk. Now if I could figure out how to order that great-looking ice cream dish that someone next to me has! I wish I had spent more time in Hamtramck!

7:20 pm

Just sat out (stood out?) another rain squall. "Here Comes the Rain Again" has been running through my mind on this trip. So has "Train to Kokomo" by the Neville Brothers. I was singing "Life From a Window" by The Jam on the trip from Warsaw to Krakow. The square here has an eerie light now after the rain. A band of old men has been playing guitar and accordion music -- everyone's gathered around. I feel like I'm at the PNA Hall. Now they're playing a polka -- look out! Shit. Here's the rain. Should've gone to the hostel when I had the chance.

9:30 pm

Made it back to the hostel. And even bought my ticket to Osweicim (Auschweitz) tomorrow. Everyone in my room is already in bed. So much for meeting people. There are a million kids running around this place. I know, what do you expect for $5? I don't like the fact that everyone in the bathroom can watch you shower, either. High school all over again. Oh, oh. My trip's half over! That's great, though. Many more adventures await me! I spent 45¢ for tea and danish, $1.20 for a 2 liter drink, 5¢ for a roll, $1 for pizza and beer. Total food bill: $3.15. Europe on $10 a day! Every time that I think someone might be an American, they start jabbering in some weird language. It's very annoying!

No comments: