Sunday, July 7, 1991

7:45 am

Yay, I don't have to wear long pants anymore. I again made the wrong decision on a very hot and sweaty day in Vienna. But last night I changed into shorts on the train and I'm not taking them off! I had a pretty restful sleep in the couchette. I met three Canadian girls. Last night, in the Stephensdom Square, I met a guy from Edmonton who was going to an outdoor Mozart opera film. I joined him. It was good to go, although I could only stay an hour in order to catch my train. Had I known what Vienna was like, I would've stayed. But it is expensive. Almost to Venice now. I had been in the square for some time last evening and it looked like a heavy cruising area. There was a really attractive guy sitting next to me. We kept looking at each other, but of course, I didn't make any moves. Then this other American did and he ended up talking with him for at least an hour. Probably slept with him! Gotta get some guts.

7:40 pm

I like Venice. People told me it's doable in a day. But I think I'll spend another night, although I am spending $32 at a hotel. It's a nice treat. Big room, big bed. I did my laundry this morning -- but no shower. The sink and bidet are enough. It was very hot and sunny today. I took a vaporetto to the Lido -- the beach -- and hung out there a while. That's what I can do tomorrow! Then I went to Piazza San Marco and walked back to my hotel by the train station. This is an expensive treat, but worth it. And they take MasterCard! Maybe I can shop tomorrow, too. That puts me in Florence on Tuesday -- good, because everything's closed on Monday. I love the people high up in the apartments just watching the world go by their window. Life from a window!

11:50 pm

I'm really depressed. Here I am in Venice, the most romantic city in the world, and I'm all alone. I haven't taken the initiative to meet anyone. That pisses me off! When am I going to take charge? I have in many ways, but not in meeting people. It should be so easy. I find it easier at the Youth Hostel. I don't think I'll get in at Florence. Well, I should at least try, god damn it! Enough of this pessimism. Remember Maude! Now I want to go on to Florence tomorrow. I was thinking of running away to Greece, but I think not. Too far.

No comments: