Sunday, July 14, 1991

11:00 am

On the beach in Barcelona. I decided not to go to Sitges or one of the other beach towns. Do as the Barcelonans do. The sun's been in and out, so it's not too unbearable. I do love sitting on the beach. Haven't been in the water yet. I have an incredibly huge blister on one of my toes! My knees have been aching again. Went to the Picasso Museum yesterday. Almost fell asleep. I was so exhausted. But it was cool. A lot of his earlier "normal" works were there. I had planned to go to the hostel and take a nap, but no. I met a guy, John, from Toronto. We had dinner there together. He had taken a French language course in France and is now traveling -- his company gave him a leave of absence. Hmm. Wheels in my mind start turning! Maybe I should take Spanish in Spain for six months! Would the school district go for it? Should I do it anyway? I want to pursue my education anyway. Why not? I'll check into Seville. There's a World's Fair there next year, in addition to the Olympics in Barcelona. Spain's the place to be in '92. John told me about some great places in Portugal as well. He went to Pamplona for three days! Said it was an incredible party. People drank all night long, ran with the bulls at 8 am, and then crashed all day just to do it again. He said he just wore the same clothes and slept in the park for three days. What fun, though! Sorry I missed it. Could be one regret. I have to work something out. I'm not going to stay in Bloomfield Hills all my life anyway. Make the break! Ride the snake! John and I plan to go to a laser light show tonight. I still have a lot to see in town. We walked to Parc Guell after dinner last night. I love when I meet people! New location, new cast of characters! A WHOLE NEW WORLD! It's fantastic! I didn't realize that Barcelona and Catalonia were autonomous and bi-lingual. Signs are in Spanish and Catalan. It's a French and Spanish mix. Exits are called "sortidas" -- salida and sortie mixed. Very strange. I speak the language, but I don't. I have been able to get by with my Spanish. I can usually understand people -- when they talk slowly. Ahh, the sun's back out. Traveling is such an exertion. Always having to be moving or planning to move, or looking for accommodations. Very hot and sweaty all the time. No simple pleasures like playing cards or watching TV. More complicated pleasures.

6:00 pm

A panic is starting to grip me. I have to go home at the end of the week! No, I can't! Can't this last forever? The funny thing is, I'm probably spending less than I would at home! Just look at accommodations! Of course, I have no income this way. I left the beach at 2:00 pm and had lunch. Paella with oysters, octopus and prawns -- gross! Plus sangria, of course. Cost about $22. Splurge! I rambled up Las Ramblas, taking in the sights. Went to the cathedral, wandered some more. And ended up back at the beach. It's not the cleanest of beaches, mind you. But it is sand instead of stone! I am looking forward to going home so I can start researching ways to come back!

No comments: