6:00 am
Darn that sun! Since it rises at 4:00 am, it's not easy to sleep in on the train. The family left at 4:30, but now I'm awake. Should be to Warsaw in an hour. Interesting that things are written on this train in four languages -- and English isn't one of them. German, French, Russian and something else. This is a DDR train -- it has a map of the old East Germany on the wall.
11:00 am
I've discovered the thriving marketplace outside of the Warszawa Centralna station. It's basically a large flea market. Mostly junk, but some Russian junk that's pretty interesting. They cook and sell kielbasa, too -- of course! I bought a t-shirt for $2. Big spender. Funny thing is, the train trip from Warsaw to Krakow cost almost as little -- zts. 36400 or $3.20. There were some Soviet medals for $3.00 that I might buy. Some nice sweaters, too, but I'm not going to carry them! It's hot and sunny today. I managed to find the Youth Hostel with only one wrong turn. Pretty good. I was settled and out and about by 9:15. Wandered around the train station for a while, just observing. Bought my ticket to Krakow and started at the market. I've got about half more to go. It's very difficult trying to but things here! I love the little Polish Fiats!
12:30 pm
These damn zlotsys. They're so confusing. Too many zeros. I still have over 600,000 left. And I bought a big Pepsi, a danish, a kielbasa, 2 toys, a shirt and a train ticket. Total = $9.00! Pretty incredible. But it's so frustrating using bills worth only 4¢. More than once, I gave the vendor hundreds instead of thousands. Silly me. I'm so confused! And it's only 12:30!
3:30 pm
How rude! I was sitting by the river on this makeshift platform, trying to get high, but couldn't light the pipe because suddenly there were tons of people coming and going and the wind was blowing something fierce, so I was writing a postcard to Matt and Eli instead when a truck pulls up, these guys jump out and start taking the planks away around me, never saying a word to me. Well, I figured I'd better disperse the pot and leave, So I did. I'm still on the river. The sun is shining. It's been a beautiful day. On the way to the river, I stumbled across an Andy Warhol exhibit at the Museum Nadrowe. Cost 50¢ to get in! This place is great!
9:40 pm
Youth Hostels are great. This young Polish couple came up to me and asked if I had an alarm clock they could borrow, because they needed to get up early. No problem. Unfortunately, the alarm is so loud it will wake up the entire hostel at 5:00 am. How fun! Did I mention that it's on the fifth floor? I hope the hostel in Krakow is open at 12:30 when I get there, but I'm sure it isn't. I'll ask at the desk if they know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment