Saturday, June 22, 1991

1:30 pm

I'm sitting by a canal enjoying Amsterdam. I rented a bike and I'm cruising around. Very fun. I went to a gay cafe and met a Scottish guy named Eamon. Now I'm going to the van Gough museum and then to a gay cafe/bar and then, who knows?

3:30 pm

I went to the Rijksmueum instead, because the van Gough line was too long. I really enjoyed it, although I was disappointed by it's size -- after hearing it was perhaps the greatest museum in the world. The presentation of art was great. They put stained glass windows in cases and put them in the windows. You actually walked though a wooden gateway from inside a church. The wood sculpture was wonderful. Great wood secretaries and wardrobes. Gonna try to call Matt. I don't like feeling that I must do things -- get high, go to a museum, go to a gay bar, sit out and observe, write and record things, call Matt, send postcards. So much to do!!

5:00 pm

I just saw the coolest video at the Sledilijk Museum. It was a 30 minute series of "the domino effect." Very industrial in look -- old tires, fire, steam, water. An old tire is bumped by an unwinding bag of garbage. It rolls and knocks a block and a carton of paint falls into a pan with two candles, the paint caught fire and the flaming ooze seeps into another pan and eventually lights a bottle-rocket device which shoots out a ball at something else. It just goes on and on. A lot of dry ice and steam, water gurgling out of a bottle into a pan, causing an empty tin to rise and bump something else.... Incredible. I wanted to purchase it, even at $65, but it's not available in NTSC.

7:40 pm

Good move renting that bicycle. I got to see quite a bit of Amsterdam and didn't get too exhausted. It's pretty scary out on the streets here. I saw an old lady get hit by a motorcycle. Ouch. Another great time in the plaza at the Dam. A 400 monitor videowall is there. Too fun. So much going on. Better than London's Leicester Square! Did I say I went to bed at 9:30 pm yesterday? I did. I was so tired and it was raining. Not tonight!

No comments: