Friday, June 28, 1991

2:45 pm

All I needed was a tea. Nein, nein. Tee ist kaput! Great. Guess what? It's raining again. Surprise! I'm at the Deutches Museum. It really is pretty cool. Science and technology stuff. A lot of hands-on physics and chemistry experiments. A rather small section on radio and TV, and many stations weren't working. And much of it is in German only. The photography area was very good. Showed the developing process. Had some great optical illusions, too. This is a huge place. It would take several days to go through it all. And I'm tired and achy already. I didn't see Neil this morning. Actually, I did -- as he was leaving. I don't know if he saw me, but I decided not to pursue the issue. It was nice spending a couple of afternoons with him. Last night, I thought (a lot, since I couldn't sleep) about quitting my job and traveling. Either with a video camera or without. I wonder if I could manage an under-26 Eurailpass. That would help a lot. I need to pursue it immediately upon my return if I'm to do it. Otherwise, I'll fall into that horrible everyday trap of monotony. I need to convince Matt or Jenny or Neil or someone to come with me. I'd need to sell or store my things and find a home for my dog. It can be done, you know. But then again. There are these lonely times I'd have to worry about. I've met people so far, but you never know what tomorrow will bring. Every day is a struggle as well as an adventure. That just about sums up this type of traveling. I just wish the weather would clear up! Maybe I could work until November and spend the winter in Spain and Portugal. Then really travel through Europe! Maybe I could work something out through work. Yeah, an exchange thing. That's it!

6:45 pm

Life is so wonderful! I've just met a wonderful 85 year old woman from Chicago while on the train to Fulda. She's Maude from Harold and Maude! I heard her speaking German-English to a couple on the train -- and I could actually understand what she was saying. When they went to dinner, we began talking. She told me dozens of stories. All about Polish and German history. About what to do in Krakow -- although she's never been. She and her husband are art aficionados and she's so knowledgeable about so much history. She talked about how the Russians love Peter the Great, she talked of Nicholas and Alexandra, Polish counts, German nobility. Then we talked about Bush. She says Hell's to good for him. She compared the Gulf War to W.W.II when Roosevelt gave Berlin to Stalin. She's so sure of her facts! She had on a sharp black outfit with a flowered skirt and a wonderful black beret. A silver pendant hanging from her neck. When I told her I was of Polish stories. In 1917, a Polish count came to Chicago to raise funds for W.W.I. She described him as tall and handsome. In 1939, she was on the St. Lawrence River on the Chicago tribune yacht -- she was a journalist -- when a small Polish submarine surfaced. The crew had escaped after the Nazis invaded. They were beautiful in their naval uniforms. Before she left, she said that meeting me was her third "Polish story" -- 1917, 1939 and 1991! We had started talking about the Gulf War and how Europeans view Americans. I expressed my views, so similar to hers, about how Americans are so impressed with personality and not substance. How universities are no longer centers for independent thinking. She was impressed by my views. She asked how old I was. She said she had not, in 7 years of coming to Europe and meeting young Americans, ever met someone like me -- who is willing to listen and can express my views. She asked if I had something in my background that caused me to be "detached." I told her no, my father wasn't an intellectual or anything, but he was involved as an outsider on the inside of politics. She knew of Hamtramck. She loved the story. I added that my dad raised 7 kids alone and she said I must write his story and send it to Reader's Digest. They'll know what to do with it. I didn't even mention his veteran's activities. Maybe she's right. She's really got me thinking. It would be a wonderful tribute to my dad. What a remarkable experience it was to have met her! We agreed that it was more than chance that we met -- it was destined. She said this was the reason she came to Europe. To meet me and encourage me. I have to agree. This is exactly what this kind of traveling is all about. Taking risks, being alone, meeting people by chance, learning, growing. Being inspired! She is an inspiration! What a wonderful life she's led. How many lives has she touched? I don't even know her name, but she's an important factor in my life. She was so positive, so encouraging. Everyone needs to know someone like her. She says it's the people like my dad, not politicians, who will change the world. Tears came to my eyes. Was it because of the memories of my father or because of meeting this wonderful woman? Life is wonderful! The German countryside is marvelous. Trees all around, rolling landscape, beautiful little villages centered around a church. There is, of course, too much rain! I guess traveling First Class isn't so bad after all. I can meet interesting people anywhere. You just have to make yourself available. I guess I should've mention the German fraü who was making faces all the time "Maude" was talking to her husband. When she left, they both rolled their eyes and I chimed in "quite a character." But I say in such a positive, complimentary way. People like her make life worth living. How ironic that I meet her on the way to see Lark -- one of my earliest eccentric influences! It all fits! It really does.

10:50 pm

Back home again. that's what it feels like anyway. I'm at the Kays' in Bischofsheim. It really is just like I saw them last week -- not last year. Even their house seems the same, because it's the same furniture. We went to McDonald's in Fulda. Everything's so Americanized there because it's near another base. Pretty weird after hanging out with foreigners for a week. It's really culture shock. I forgot what it can be like staying with 3 kids. It's hard for me to stay so pumped up. On the ride home, we saw a great rainbow! We stopped and took pictures of Rhys and Saira chasing it! A.J. is so big. He was only six months old when I saw him last! He has Rhy's eyes. My left knee and right Achilles' tendon really hurt. I feel so old. Oh, I forgot. "Maude" said she felt ten years younger after talking to me.

No comments: